Saturday, August 29, 2015

27 Years Ago Today

Kara Denise Kelley-Voss Sept 1987
Mark Brandon Kelley w/his son Bryan - 1987

On August 29, 1988, 27 years ago today, my older brother Mark & younger sister Kara were shot and killed during an armed robbery in Houston TX. They were in their 20's; both married. Mark had two babies who are now grown. His son Bryan was 2 years old, his daughter Elizabeth was 4 weeks old when he was killed.

My sister-in-law distanced herself and my brother's kids from us within 13 months after my brother's death. Tragic grief affects everyone differently. My parents were forced to file for "grandparents' rights" to see Mark's kids during their first 14 years of life. That led to more sorrow and pain when my brother's wife constantly controlled the hearts and minds of my nephew and neice; attempting to separate them from us during those 14 years under Grandparents' Rights. We rarely see Mark's adult children today.

27 years is a long time. That one tragic event changed my life forever, in very sorrowful ways. I became an only child that day. Staying positive through life isn't always easy. I got real good at it (over the years), during more struggles and more tragic losses. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

I post this, even if you know my story, to remind anyone out there: you can survive anything. You really can. You may not "thrive" all the time or be happy all the time, but you can survive. And tomorrow IS another day.

Four Points:

(1) My siblings were UNARMED during the robbery. If my brother, a US Army veteran, was carrying his gun, the outcome would have been MUCH different. Instead of constant sorrow, each member of our family would live happier, more balanced lives today. Sometimes I wish my siblings were around to fight with, hug with, love with, laugh with. We were a very close family; my brother, sister, me and my parents. Until that day 27 years ago.

(2) Yes, they visit me from The Spirit Realm - starting the day of their deaths. They visited me daily for several years after their deaths. My brother stopped visiting me about 8 years ago. My sister still visits me today, occassionally. Back when it happened, talking about spiritual visits was viewed as borderline insane. I'm grateful that isn't the case anymore - 27 years later.

After my brother was shot, his body stayed alive at the hospital, waiting for me to arrive. I was working that day. Didn't get the news until I got home at 6p that night when my mother called me. Robbery happened around 2pm. My brother was shot numerous times in the head and torso. The robbers killed my sister instantly with one shot to the head. They wanted no witnesses to their robbery.

While a friend drove me to the hospital to see Mark that night, I sensed a presence in the back seat. It was my brother. He kept saying "Please hurry. I don't have much time. Need to see you; the rest of the family needs to see you, before I leave. Important. Drive faster! Why didn't you call for a police escort?"

When I arrived at the hospital, everyone in the family was already there: aunts, uncles, cousins, my parents, my grandmother, my sister's husband and two of his friends, my brother's wife and her family. They lined the hallway leading to the entrance of my brother's ICU area. None of them thought to call me earlier that day. I was the last one to know. The last person to show up at the hospital.

I stepped into Mark's room and instantly felt immense heaviness. His head heavily bandaged in white; only part of his face showed. His body covered with white sheets; his white-socked feet exposed. His wife stood crying on his right side. My mother sat on his left side, holding his left hand. I stepped closer to him, saw the machines keeping him alive, his heart still beating. Surreal and strange. I couldn't understand what was happening. He was so athletic and strong. Now he lay lifeless.

Difficult to see him in this condition, I looked up and saw a fuzzy white blob hovering between the ceiling and his bed. It was his spirit floating above his bed. "Took you long enough!" he laughed. Then his voice became somber, "Take care of them. Take care of you. It's not going to be easy. I'll help when I can. I'm here. Not leaving until our job is done. You can do it." I stood there quietly in shock, digesting what was happening. I understood what he meant. Couldn't believe all this was really happening. Ten minutes later, he flatlined and his body stopped breathing. The doctors came in and pronounced his death time.

My sister visited us that night around 9p. Seven hours after her death. She sprinkled her "scent" on our front porch that night. She was an equestrian horse-woman. We raised horses and my sister spent every day at the barn; dropping her barn clothes in the laundry room at the back door after a long day of  riding, working, training horses and cleaning stalls. That's the scent she sprinkled on our porch: hay, leather, horse dander and horse manure.

Kara also loved stray animals. A stray cat arrived at our front door at the same time we smelled her scent. He stayed with us the next 2 months until our initial shock wore off. Then he mysteriously left one day and we never saw him again.

My brother visited me almost every day until about 8 years ago. We were very close before he was killed. My sister still visits me whenever I'm feeling down, need reassurance, or my mom feels frustrated or emotionally unstable. My sister Kara helps me deal with my mother.

(3) You can feel sorrow, remember people you lost and still function. You can turn a negative into a positive. I'm living proof.

(4) I'm very close to God and The Spirit Realm. I was born that way. After the deaths of my brother and sister, my connection with the Spirit Realm grew stronger. My relationship with God grew stronger. I use my strong spiritual connections to help others. After my second near-death experience in 1998, I promised God I'd share His strength to make the world a better place. To help others live their best life and realize their dreams and soul goals.

In 2009, after years of helping others part-time, I opened a full-time psychic practice in Sedona, Arizona. Every workday is a blessing. Every client is a treasure. Every time I perform psychic readings, the Spirit Realm is happy. And I am happy. It's a privilege to be a bridge between the ethereal Spirit Realm (aka The Universe, Great Mystery, God) and every individual who chooses my services. A privilege I honor, respect and cherish every day. The minute I abuse my gifts or take them for granted, I will close my practice. That's the other promise I made. That day hasn't come yet. I thank God and The Spirit Realm for the gifts I share with clients. And the gift of life I'm given every day I wake up. Life isn't always easy. But it can bring you fulfillment, joy and a lot of fun if you let it.

Robin Amanda Kelley
Sedona Spirit Psychic


  1. Robin,
    I met you last year in Sedona, along with my spirit guides, and I still carry that visit with me. So many of the questions I carried with me were answered that day. It was an awesome experience for me. To read the story of your life, I'm amazed that you can be so positive and upbeat. What happens to us as a child effects us throughout our life. I am a living example of that. Visiting you that day was the best part of my trip to Sedona. I hope to talk to you again soon.

    Alice Bissett

  2. Well really this story amazed me.. many people are there who actually need help thank you for providing this plateform..helping other is indeed a blessing..!